A better, end-to-end consumer experience will accelerate the sleep apnea market opportunity for providers, payers, employers and device manufacturers.
Let the path to better sleep begin.
Over 30 million people (1 in 5 men aged 30+) in the US live with sleep apnea.
Approximately 20% of those are diagnosed and treated, with the market exceeding $4.5 billion annually and it's growing.
Symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea include:
- Excessive daytime fatigue
- Restless sleep
- Mood swings
Why It Matters
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is highly treatable, yet most people who struggle with the condition are not receiving treatment. An estimated 24 million people with obstructive sleep apnea go undiagnosed, creating a huge human and economic toll.
Left untreated, sleep apnea is associated with:
- 2.5x greater likelihood of developing cancer
- 4x more likely to have a stroke
- 4x higher mortality rate
The economic burden of undiagnosed sleep apnea is estimated at $150 billion every year. Experts estimate that diagnosing and treating every patient in the US could result in an annual economic savings of $100 billion.
Closer to home, untreated sleep apnea can cause relationship strain and negatively impact intimacy.
Why Are So Many People Not Sleeping Well?
The current market doesn't address huge obstacles for individuals to resolve sleep apnea:
- Lack of understanding of how poor sleep impacts quality of life
- Unsure how or where to start looking for help
- Process to get diagnosed and find treatment is cumbersome and confusing
- No support when starting treatment to make it a success
What We Are Doing About It
GEM SLEEP makes it simple to navigate the path to better sleep. We’ve eliminated the waiting game and confusion that come with the current experience by providing a single point to get diagnosed quickly, start treatment and access ongoing support.
How GEM’s consumer experience works:
- A quick 1-minute assessment screens for potential obstructive sleep apnea
- Order a home sleep study test through GEM
- Complete the sleep test on your time in your home
- GEM providers review the sleep test and recommend treatment
- Order CPAP for home delivery or connect with a dental provider to begin treatment
- GEM provides ongoing support
GEM will continue optimizing its experience to make it easy, accessible and cost effective for all. This includes seeking to work with insurance companies and expanding support with tools like communities.
Diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2021, Brian is a 20+ year healthcare industry veteran.
His former COO role at Optum Care Services and his successful exit while CEO of digital mental health provider Sanvello, positions Brian uniquely to disrupt the sleep apnea market.
His experience in consumer engagement and connections and ability to navigate the payer environment are pivotal to the success of GEM.
Connect with GEM Health on LinkedIn to learn more.